BACK BADGE REUNION - CALLING NOTICE SATURDAY 23rd MARCH 2024
1. Introduction. This year is special as it is the 30th Anniversary of the demise of the Glosters and the birth of the RGBW. The Reunion will be held in the WO’s and Sgts Mess in Imjin Barracks, Innsworth, Gloucester, GL13 1 HW on Saturday 23rd March 2024.
Please Note: To gain access to the barracks it is planned to have a block booking for speedy entrance. It is therefore requested to add the details of your vehicle.
2. Background. Some key points for the day include:
• Church Service at St Mary de Lode. The service will be conducted by Canon Nikki Arthy who will be accompanied by ex-members of the Glosters band and Standard Bearers. All are welcome to attend and please be seated by 11.15am, the service will commence at 11.30.
• March through Gloucester. Form up under parade marshal outside the West door on Archdeacon Street and proceed up Westgate Street. A salute will be taken on the steps of the Shire Hall. The march continues up to the cross wheeling right into Southgate Street and right into Longsmith Street where the participants will fall out.
• Transport. Mr Andy Casey has kindly donated his minibus ably driven by his wife Shirley to transport people from Archdeacon Street and Longsmith Street to Imjin Barracks. There will be a slight delay between the two, so marching Veterans requiring a lift (please annotate the proforma). Please be patient.
• Mrs Gill Phelps will organise lifts for anyone with spare seats in their cars and could drivers please inform Gill if they are prepared to give lifts if the minibus is full. Gill can be recognised by waving paddles.
• Gathering. The Mess caterers are arranging a three-course luncheon at a cost of £25.00 per head, same price as 2022/23, this includes tea//coffee on arrival in the bar assembly point (drinks can be purchased at the bar). A bottle of red and a bottle of white wine will be on each table, the lounge bar will remain open after lunch for those wishing to partake.
• Widows. The committee wish to encourage our regimental widows to come and join us. Please try to bring one long with you, they are still part of our family.
• Standard Bearers. There will be a brief rehearsal at 10.45 in the Church.
3. Numbers. Because it is a special occasion and there is a lot of interest shown, we will have a cut off point after the first 120 seats have been taken. So please get your seats booked early for this and don’t miss out. The last Commanding Officer of the 1st Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment and the 1st Commanding Officer of the RGBW will be present along with Jack Russell, the ex-Wicket Keeper turned painter who has recently painted the Korean Veterans for the OP Portrait Exhibition taking place at The Soldiers of Gloucester Museum.
This year tickets will be issued on receipt of payment by post (please include an SAE) or electronically.
Please pay by electronic transfer to: Lynda Keeling
Sort Code: 20-33-83 Account No: 03989917
Please include a reference on payment: e.g. Smith x 3
Cheques made payable to: Lynda Keeling
13 Sunnyside Park, Claines, Worcester, WR3 7SP
PLEASE E-MAIL OR POST THIS PROFORMA BY 16th MARCH 2024.
Name of Guests:
Car Registration & Description:
All are encouraged to attend the Church Service beginning at 1130 am and then participate in the march through Gloucester.
Will you attend the Church Service? Yes/No
Will you be marching? Yes/No
Do you need transport and if so, how many seats are required to Imjin Barracks:
Do you have any special dietary needs? If so, please make this clear and we shall do our best to meet your requirement.
I look forward to seeing you all there.